Each slice of this gorgeous tart from the Hot For Food All Day cookbook puts the fragrant, rare tropical fruit that is passion fruit at its forefront. Can’t find passion fruit? Opt for mangos or dragon fruit and add a touch of lime or lemon juice to tart them up.
What you need:
For the graham cracker crust:
9 sheets (18 squares) vegan graham crackers
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup melted vegan butter
For the passion fruit curd:
½ cup water
1 tablespoon agar flakes
1¼ cups canned coconut cream
1 cup passion fruit, including seeds (7 or 8 passion fruits)
¼ cup sugar
For the toppings:
Store-bought coconut whipped topping
Mint leaves, for garnish
What you do:
- To make the crust, in a food processor, pulse graham crackers and salt into a fine crumble. Add melted butter and pulse again until mixture comes together and looks like wet sand. Press evenly into a 9½-inch fluted pie pan. Press at least three-quarters of the way up sides of pan. Refrigerate crust while preparing filling.
- For the curd, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk water and agar. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, until dissolved and liquid is reduced and thickened slightly.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk coconut cream, passion fruit, and sugar constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbling and warmed through. Add dissolved agar and whisk until well combined, about another 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a heat-safe glass bowl. Whisk constantly to cool down and prevent from setting too much.
- Once mixture has cooled to room temperature and with no steam present, pour into crust and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, until chilled and set.
- To serve, top tart with coconut whipped topping and garnish with mint leaves.